Healthy4LifeOnline delivers the top 25 rated Mountain Bikes on the market today. We keep our lists fresh and current so you get the best options and top rated….
Rugged frames, hot new styles, to the lightest bikes on the planet…. We have what you are looking for below.
- Top Brands
- Every Size
- Many Pricepoints to Choose From
Top 25 Best Mountain Bikes Reviewed
- 26-inch full suspension aluminum MTB frame
- Suspension fork 65mm travel
- Shimano 21 Speed Shifters with Rear Tourney Derailleur
- Front Disc Brake/Rear Linear Pull Brake
- Alloy Wheel Rims
- Full Suspension Aluminum Frame with 50mm Steel Crown Fork
- 24" Alloy Rims
- 21 Speed Twist Shifters
- Shimano Rear Derailleur
- Crank- Steel Triple
- KEVLAR® layer provides more strength and extra puncture resistance
- Carbon steel bead allows tire to be folded without damage for easy storage
- Tall, knobby tread offers superior traction for smooth trail to technical single track riding
- Wheel Size: 26" x 1.75 - 2.25"
- Extremely Bright: The bicycle front light with 7 high power LEDs can emits ultra bright light to illuminate your way up to 500 feet away.
- Long Runtime: The bike light is powered by 6000 mAh rechargeable battery pack(included), which can last approximately 2 hours on high and 12 hours on Low, perfect for night riding.
- Waterproof Design: With the waterproof design, the LED bicycle headlamp flashlight is suitable for outdoor environment,adverse weather conditions except for diving, so do not put it into the water.
- Adjustable Modes:There is a single button on the back of the led headlamp, where you can choose the mode (strong - weak- flash) you need.
- Simple Installation: The bicycle light fits great on handlebars with easy rubber mounts: just hook the rubber o-ring on the lip of the plastic base, go around to your handlebar to the other lip.
- HOLLOW DESIGN:Center cutout offers anotomic relief and ventilation,this bike seat relieving pressure on the perineum and providing airflow and comfort during long rides.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN:This bike saddle is ergonomically designed to be good for your cycling ,Perform at your fullest potential on a saddle that can match your strongest outputs.And it has excellent shockproof and maximum firmness.
- COMFORTABLE & BREATHABLE:The foam padding provides ultra comfort and save you from cycling pain.And the hollow-out design can Reduce the material in the middle of the saddle ,make it lighter and breathable.
- EASY INSTALLATION & SUITABLE FOR MANY BIKE:The bike seat is very easy installation and suitable for all kinds of bike .The size of it is 10.5''x5.9'' and the weight is 330g, narrower seat can increase your speed and relieves pressure on sensitive areas.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE:If there any issue about this product,please feel free to contract us first,we will resolve this or refund for you.Please confirm this bike seat cushion can fit your requirement before ordering.
- ✔FEAR NO DARKNESS: 1200 Lumen CREE XM-L2 LED Technology - This waterproof bike front light is bright enough to light up the trails and to see bumps on the road ahead when biking at night, it will definitely make your presence known on the road during evening rides or commutes
- ✔EASY TO INSTALL: Setup is straight-forward, no tools needed, simply hand turn the hardware until it's tight and secure on your bike handlebar in a desired location, simply screw off the light from the mount so you can take it with you when leaving the bike locked up outside
- ✔LONG RUNTIME: Powered by 5 volt 4400mhA rechargeable battery pack(included), the night riding light lasts approximately 4 hours on High(100% brightness), 8 hours on Medium(50% brightness), 12 hours on Low(25% brightness), Strobe(100% brightness)
- ✔VERSATILE USES: Except being a 360 degree cycle rotating torch for a bicycle, the mini safety flashlight can also be mounted on the included headstrap mount as a headlamp for outdoor sports such as trail riding, camping, fishing, hiking, trekking, hunting, night flying, sailing, caving, commuting and etc
- ✔UNIVERSAL FITMENT: The Te-Rich Bicycle headlamp fits tubes or handlebars up to 28 mm in diameter including TREK, SALSA, JAMIS, SPECIALIZED, GIANT, DIAMONDBACK, SCHWINN, CANNONDALE, GT, SCOTT, MONGOOSE and more
- EXTREMELY BRIGHT and now FULLY WATERPROOF 1600 Lumen CREE T6 LED Technology - Our Newly UPGRADED Bike Light Battery Lasts now over 5+ Hours on High, 10+ hours on medium, 26+ hours on Low. The Longest Running Bike light in the industry!
- NOW FITS ALL HANDLEBARS - - SAFETY - MORE FEATURES than any look-alike - Includes FREE Diffuser Lens - Strobe for Daytime Riding Clears Cars From Your Path
- EXTERNAL RECHARGEABLE WATERPROOF 6400mAh BATTERY - Allows Our Cycling Flashlight to Outshine The Competition
- BEST BIKE LIGHT SET for mountain BIKING / CAMPING / HIKING / RUNNING with Included Helmet Accessories
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE ON BICYCLE HEADLIGHT / 1-YEAR WARRANTY ON BATTERY - We're Always Here For Our Customers!
- Designed for kids ages 9-12 or 54"- 61" tall who want to ride Rooty, rocky, mountain trails
- Made with a lightweight, 24 inch low stand over 6061 aluminum frame and SR Sun tour XCT fork with 50mm of travel for comfort on the bumps
- Features easy to operate Shimano Revo 7-speed shifters and alloy v-brakes
- Includes resin platform pedals, Jr. Mountain saddle, Jr. Soft PVC grips and 24x1. 95 inch tires for stability
- STAY HYDRATED ON YOUR RIDE - Quick & Easy access to your bike water bottle when you need it. Great for road, mountain, hybrid, touring & electric bicycles. Buy 2 bottle cages to stay hydrated for those extra long rides, so you can go the distance!
- SECURE AND STURDY BOTTLE RETENTION SYSTEM ensures a full bottle stays firmly in place when riding, whether you're out riding fast on roads or bumpy trails. Fits most standard & over sized bike water bottles, including the following sizes: 20, 21, 25, 24, 25 & 33 oz / ounces (500, 550, 650, 750 & 950 ml sizes). One-piece flexible design, adjustable +/- 0.2 inches / 0.5cm to accommodate slightly smaller or larger sized bike water bottles such as insulated bottles.
- SUPERB DURABLE QUALITY & STUNNING FINISH TO MATCH YOUR BIKE - CNC machined aluminium alloy, heated treated for a strong & lightweight design. Powder coated finish and high tumble polished to match your shiny bike paintwork. Extremely easy to wipe off and clean. Lightweight at only 48g/1.69oz.
- QUICK & EASY TO INSTALL - Mount on your bike frame in under 60 seconds. Oval mounting holes allow for fine-tuning of position on frame. 2 stainless steel bolts included. Bike frame requires threaded holes for installation of bottle cage.
- PRO QUALITY - We're so confident about the quality of our products that if you have any product issues, we're very happy to either provide a Refund or a Replacement - can't say fairer than that!
- QUICK PUMPING POWER & ACCURATE INFLATION - High pressure 120 psi/8.3 bar. Oversized piston design enables this portable pump to reach riding pressure with 30% fewer strokes compared to conventional mini bike pumps. Flexible air hose design works with awkward or tight valve placements. Air hose cleverly stored in handle to maximize compactness. The hose features an INTEGRATED PRESSURE GAUGE so you can accurately pump to your desired air pressure!
- DURABLE, COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT - Stunning design and finish. Superior quality CNC machined aluminum alloy with durable and precise parts - THIS PUMP IS BUILT TO LAST! 8.75 inches long and weighing in at only 4.5oz. Check out our 'How to Video' in the 'Related Video Shorts' section.Check out our 'How to Video' in the 'Related Video Shorts' section.
- SUPER TIGHT PRESTA & SCHRADER CONNECTION WITH NO LEAKS - Easy switching between Presta & Schrader valves thanks to innovative hose design - No adapters needed! Secure thread-on valve connection, enables a super tight seal with no air leaks and NO MORE DAMAGED BIKE TIRE VALVES!
- NO PUMP RATTLES OR LOST PUMP with our safe & secure frame mount bracket with velcro strap. Pre-drilled holes in bike frame required for installation of pump mount.
- PRO QUALITY - We're so confident about the quality of our products that if you have any product issues, we're very happy to either provide a Refund or a Replacement - can't say fairer than that!
- Handlebar diameter between 20-22mm is suitable for installing the bicycle grips
- Lightweight. 27g (4.1 oz) only per pair. Not a heavy burden on bikes.
- Double aluminum alloy locking prevent handlebar grips from loose-off.
- As a result of quality rubber adopting, handle grips are anti-slip.
- A screwdriver & Two handle bar caps are packaged with our bike grips.
- Mongoose Supersized 26" X 4" all terrain knobby tires. Dual disc brakes provide all-condition braking
- Alloy 4" wide wheel set with disc brakes
- 7 speed gearing with Shimano rear derailleur
- 3 piece crank
- Threadless headset for easy adjustability and lightweight
- SEE EVERYTHING AT NIGHT IN HD - Bicycle light 1000 lumens XM-L U2 LED will light up everything in your way for a Crystal Clear Vision, a must have for riding at night.
- STAY ON THE ROAD LONGER: Bicycle headlight guarantees a peace of mind knowing you have 8 hours of brightness.
- BUILT TOUGH, BUILT TO LAST - Aluminum body built to be extremely durable, waterproof, and indestructible, even on the toughest terrains. Guarantee to work rain or shine!
- SAVE TIME and FRUSTRATION - Bike headlight kit required no tools; Conveniently install in seconds on the go and remove in seconds while parked.
- WIN - WIN SITUATION - Magnus Gear Satisfaction Warranty: you're always covered through the lifetime of your Vision 2 bike light.
- Please attention: the size is measured by circumference.Specially designed to provide comfortable compression and support for all sports lovers.The gloves are made of microfiber leather, hard-wearing and great fit.The most special point is Touch recognition and Tailor in three dimensional.It easy to use in touch your smart-phone and all kinds of touchable control electronic products.
- Mesh cloth, lycra fabric and triple sandwich mesh cloth on the surface, 3 dimensional tailoring, highly elastic, moisture-wicking, breathable. Lycra fabric has great elasticity and is used widely. A combination of the three functions of composite fabric cloth.
- The palm fabric is skip-proof and hard wearing. Its special thickening palm pad can absorb the shock and reduce numbness on the bumpy road effectively.
- Silica gel pad in palm works well as a buffer layer. Ease your palm fatigue and reduce the probability of skipping in riding. Reflective piping on hand surface for optimum visibility and safety nightly.
- The terry cloth design on thumbs is mainly used to wipe the dripping and distracting sweat instead of wiping face in large range.
- 100% brand new and high quality
- Short handle bar stem suitable for road bike, fixed gear bicycle, mountain bikes, etc.
- Made of high quality aluminum alloy Material: 6061 Aluminum alloy
- Handlebar diameter:31.8mm Front fork diameter: 28.6mm Length: 35mm (center distance of the two holes) Color: Black weight:203g
- Package Content: 1 x Bicycle Short Handle Stem
- ✔1 YEAR WARRANTY AND SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: If for any reason you are not 100% satisfied with your new Widras Bike Mount you are welcome to a No-Questions-Asked 100% REFUND.
- ✔ENGINEERED FROM ONLY TOP QUALITY MATERIALS - premium durable ABS Plastic & silicone. We use only THE STRONGEST AND SAFEST MATERIALS because Safety is our #1 priority. We built our Bike Mount to be unique and to give you complete peace of mind that your cell phone will be safe for the entire journey.
- ✔ULTRA-STRONG SECURE STRAP SYSTEM AND BUMP ABSORBING: your smartphone will stay firmly fastened all your journey. Rubber clips will absorb all the bumps and will protect your handlebar from scratches.
- ✔UNIVERSAL COMPATIBILITY: Universal adjust ability that will securely fit any phone up to 3.5 inches wide! As well as these popular models: iPhone 7 | 7 Plus | 6 | 6s | 5 | 4 | Galaxy S6 Edge | S6 | S5 | S4 , Nexus, LG, Motorola, HTC and phones this size (* PLEASE NOTE: Please measure your device width with case before purchasing the mount, may not fit phones with extra large cases) Also, may not fit super sport motorcycles with clip on handlebars)
- ✔INSTALL IN LESS THAN 45 SECONDS (NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED): Other Bike Mounts require assembling multiple parts, and following complicated instructions. Our Widras Bike Mount require ZERO assembly and can be installed in as little as 45 seconds. Simply open the box, attach Mount to handlebar - and you're GOOD TO GO.
- EASY OPERATION The chain cleaning process is very easy. Just mount the chain scrubber under the bike chain, and then put the detergent into the scrubber, hold the chain scrubber with left hand and turn the pedal with right hand in the counterclockwise direction for cleaning. With the bicycle chain clean tool set, men and women riders bicycles always get a full and deep cleaning.
- QUALITY MATERIAL FOR DURABLE USE The bike chain scrubber, chain brush and chain gear cleaner use quality plastic material which is hard to be broken. Usually riders could repeatedly use this bike chain tool set for bike maintance.
- DEEP BIKE CHAIN CLEANING The bike chain gear cleaner could pick out the dirt inside the bike wheels and then use the chain brush to deep clean the dirt at every corner of the bike chains. After a deep bike care, the bicycle will look clean as before.
- SUITABLE FOR ALL BIKES WITH CHAINS The bike chain cleaning tools set including chain scrubber, chain brush and chain gear cleaner is suitable for all types bikes if there is a chain. No matter mountain bike, mtb, road bike, BMX, all could get a deep cleaning.
- Package Chain scrubber X1, Chain brush X1, Chain gear cleanerX1
- BLACK FRIDAY 2017 BIKE DEALS - COMFORT BIKE SEAT FOR MEN - Engineered to dramatically reduce riding pain for men's unique anatomy. With the hollow core and deep center cutout, this padded bike seat will provide you the comfort you need. You will feel no pressure on your prostate making sure that in time your sensitive area will not be affected
- TESTED BY MORE THAN 10.000 cycling lovers - Our customers stated that the Bikeroo bicycle seat with artificial leather is one of the most comfortable bike seats for men on Amazon. Its extra padded cushion will help you enjoy your rides for miles and miles.
- BEST VALUE FOR MONEY - At almost half the price of other high quality comfortable bike seats, you will also get a bicycle accessories set. A WATERPROOF SEAT COVER, MOUNTING TOOLS, universal bicycle seat adapter and mounting instructions. Plus, you will receive an info-packed e-book that will cover almost everything that a biker needs to know.
- VERSATILE - Whether it's mounted as your road bike saddle, stationary bike seat or on your mountain bike as a comfortable replacement bicycle saddle, it will make your riding feel much better. Also, due to the included adapter and the universal standard rails system this cycling bike seat can also fit other bike types like fixed gear, hybrid, ebike or used as an exercise bike seat.
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - We want you to love our products. If you are not 100% satisfied, we offer 12 months Money Back Guarantee. If our Bike Saddle for Men does not improve your comfort while riding the outdoors or is not the ideal indoor cycle bike seat for you, please contact us and we will refund you the money. With that, you have no risk.
- GET BACK RIDING QUICKLY WITH SUPER FAST & RELIABLE TIRE INFLATION - Inflate a tire in seconds with our 1-Turn Valve System. Control lever operation regulates speed of CO2 release for precisely controlled inflation. Twin valve head threads onto either Presta & Schrader valves with no valve head switching needed.
- SMALL, COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT - Read the amazing reviews, customers love this stylish CO2 inflator for its compact small size which is perfect for stowing away in your saddle bag or cycling jersey pocket.
- SAFE & SECURE CONNECTION WITH NO LEAKS - Inflator head designed for ANY size of threaded CO2 cartridges (12g, 16g, 20g & 25g). Rubber EVA Foam sleeve (for 16g cartridges only) included - no frozen fingers when operating. Detailed instructions & spare o-ring included. Not compatible with valve extenders. For Presta valves with removable cores, extra care should be taken to tightly screw the core into the valve stem. No CO2 cartridges included, CO2 cartridges sold separately.
- SAVE MONEY IN THE LONG TERM, INVEST IN THE BEST...NOW. Why spend money on a cheaper CO2 inflator which will inevitably fail when you need it the most! This CO2 inflator is made from superior quality CNC machined aluminum alloy with durable and precise parts, which is BUILT TO LAST, so you can have a safe & enjoyable ride. Inflator also compatible for use with 'food-grade' threaded CO2 cartridges for craft and draught beer growlers that need to be pressurized to ensure a fresh brew!
- PRO QUALITY - We are so confident about the quality of our products that if you have any product issues, we're very happy to either provide a Refund or a Replacement!
- Three-inch round, handlebar mounted rearview mirror for bicycles
- Wide view convex mirror pivots to any viewing angle
- Mounts onto bar end of handle bar
- Fits inside handlebars with 13.75 to 22.5 inside diameters
- Installation wrench included
- SIZE: front fender arc length:22.8 inch,rear fender arc length:19.56 inch,width:3.68 inch
- FIT: the front fender with 3 sizes expandable nuts,fits the front fork hole diameter of 0.8 to 1.2 inch,The rear fender fits the seat tube dimension of 1 to 1.37 inch,Suitable for wheel size:26 to 29 inch
- RELIABLE: the bike fenders are made of high elasticity material, can be twisted freely, not easily broken, quite strong, extremely durable
- CONVENIENT: quickly and easily install and disassemble and rear fender angle is adjustable (included installed tools).The fender set is compatible with mountain bikes with standard front forks
- GUARANTEE: 30 Day refund or returned Guarantee. Customers can return and get refunded in case the purchasing is not satisfied for any reason. You have no risk to try
- Material: Gel Pad and breathable materials
- It can Touch Screen with Fingers for convenient use of mobile devices without moving gloves
- Reinforced Micromatrix synthetic leather palm is supple and durable
- Soft, absorbent thumb for brushing away sweat
- Season: Spring, fall; Notice: the size may be a little small from the size chart, please measure your palm before buying
- Meterial:TPR rubber,anti-skidding,soft and comfortable
- Double side aluminum alloy lock-on make you safer
- Minimize fatigue in your hands on long distance rides
- Two screws fixed, very easy to install
- Size:133*21mm,inner diameters:21mm,outside diameters:32mm
- Using non slip rubber material and dead lock design on both sides. Fast and accurately to remove and install
- Handlebar grip is covered by many little convex anti-skid rubber particles, so it is not easy to slip whether by rain or sweat permeability, which greatly improves the cycling safety
- Soft and comfort grip feeling, anti-slip design. Minimize fatigue in your hands on long distance rides
- Fits for bicycles handlebar tube internal diameter approximately within 22mm
- Application: Bicycle, mountain bikes, road bikes, folding bike and other 22mm handlebar bikes
The Benefits of A Mountain Bike
Mountain biking is the better of both worlds – low impact on the body, high effect on your health. If you should be thinking about an action which provides all the advantages of a high-impact sport, however with low effect on your body, then mountain biking could be for you personally.
For cardio, endurance, muscle development, pure fun and variety, mountain biking makes it possible to pedal the right path to serious fitness. Anyone who can ride a bike can ride a mountain bike, but be sensible on your first trip out.
Because it’s weight bearing, mountain biking puts the little impact on the joints, unlike running. It really is a type of circuit training with a fast and slow gush that really works your heart rate. For lower-body strength, cycling’s hard to beat: it builds great thighs, calves, and glutes.
Getting out onto trails is more challenging than road riding, so mountain biking lets you work your core and upper body as you negotiate tricky turns and tough terrain. Because every ride significantly differs, mountain biking offers the variety which our bodies and minds have to increase fitness and push away boredom.
Five Reasons to Use a Mountain Bike
1. INTENSE WORKOUT
With mountain biking and you’ll discover that for each and every leg-burning, lung-crushing hill you climb, you’re rewarded because of the oh-so-sweet decadent descent you’ve been craving. Both as an aerobic and anaerobic workout, mountain biking burns between 10 to 16 calories one minute, or 600 to 1000 calories one hour and helps increase metabolic rate. So apart from toning and increasing muscle strength, it helps shed that unwanted weight.
2. IT’S RELAXING
Biking reduces stress, anxiety, and depression. Active biking boosts endorphin (a hormone stated in the brain that reduces pain) levels and stimulates the production of norepinephrine (a stress hormone) recognized to improve mood. Moreover, it reduces build up of adrenalin and cortisol (a steroid hormone) reducing stress and anxiety. One biker friend confided that whenever he had a blazing row together with his wife, he’d go ride the trails to take the edge off his frayed nerves.
3. YOU’LL GET CLOSER TO NATURE
Studies have shown that people who are able to distance themselves from the noise and havoc of day to day life to find reprieve in the tranquility of nature are happier, less stressed and more energetic. One has a look at mountain bike pioneer Brett Tippie is evidence enough to support this.
4. GIVES YOU ADRENALINE RUSH
Mountain biking is by nature a fairly adventurous sport, the mere reference to which evokes a certain spirit of exploration and risk-taking. And being adventurous inevitably enables you to a much more interesting person. When asking a mountain biker about their weekend, instead of small talk you’ll often hear glorified tales of darting across rickety bridges, scaling treacherous peaks, dodging branches or perhaps the odd rabid animal and awkwardly going back to civilization covered in mud, stained with blood and wearing a shit-eating grin.
5. YOU’LL DISCOVER NEW PARTS OF THE WORLD
Traveling by mountain bike opens the entranceway to a world of possibilities; you’ll gain use of places often too remote for the tourist hordes and build relationships locals in a far more meaningful way than from the seat of a trip bus. And also the best part about mountain biking is that no matter where you find yourself on the planet, odds are you’re never too far away from a thin line of dirt snaking its way through a forest, field or desert. But heck, you don’t even need to go very far… A mountain bike can help you discover hidden gems in your very own city, opening your eyes from what you never thought existed in your concrete jungle.
6. TEACH YOU HOW TO MEDITATE
Leave your gadgets at the home on your next ride, and you’ll end up fully surviving in as soon as. It’s not like you’re given much of an option either, what with all the current roots and rocks and tight corners along the way. It’s exactly about being present in the here and now. Rolling along with it. Going using the flow. Anything else, most of the crap life throws your way, is magically blurred out. And that’s the good thing about the ride.
7. ENJOY THE OUTDOORS
Like to feel alive? Studies also show that a 20-minute dose of fresh air promotes a feeling of vitality and rejuvenation add up to that provided by a cup of joe, minus the jitters. Just imagine what a 2-hour bike ride will do for the well-being and overall feeling of kicking ass at life. You’ll also speak to your inner-child, bringing you returning to the occasions when life wasn’t about crunching numbers or furiously typing away in a cubicle, but of making the essential of simple delights.
8. MEET NEW FRIENDS
Mountain bikers are usually a fairly happy-go-lucky breed. Perhaps it’s all that exercising. Or perhaps the fresh air. Or the nature-loving. Regardless, happy people naturally tend to flock towards other happy people. So join a fat-tire club and you’re bound to fulfill good-natured, like-minded folks with a propensity for laughter and a penchant once and for all brews.
In a world of comfort and convenience, there’s something deeply satisfying and rewarding about relying on your very own wits as well as 2 mitts to correct the inevitable trailside breakdown. To be able to diagnose and repair mechanical mishaps is as much a part of mountain biking as bench cutting a trail or picking the best post-ride ale. And in case knowing a thing or two about bike repairs means lending a helping hand to those less mechanically-inclined, consider it a healthy deposit into the karma account.
10. BOOST YOUR CONFIDENCE
The feeling of earning it as much as the most notable, balancing your way across a narrow ladder bridge or carving the right path down a technical descent is a pretty incredible one. And luckily, most mountain bike trails offer heaps of obstacles, challenges, and private Everests, regardless of your skill or level of fitness. All that’s necessary is a little of practice, some determination to manage your fears and push your limits… which happens to be a pretty good analogy for just about anything in life worth accomplishing.
Mountain biking is a fun and exciting way to enjoy the many health benefits of regular fitness and cardiovascular exercise including:
1. Improved Heart Health
Regular exercise is known to improve cardiovascular fitness. The British Medical Association studied 10,000 people and showed that riding a bicycle for at least 20 miles a week lessened the risk of coronary heart disease by almost 50%. Mountain biking uses large muscle groups that require a lot of oxygen. This makes the heart work steadily, increasing your heart’s fitness by 3-7%.
2. Less Stress on the Joints
Mountain biking is a low impact sport, meaning it puts less stress on your joints than other aerobic activities such as running. Cycling is also considered a non-load bearing sport, which means that the act of sitting takes pressure off of your joints and reduces the risk of injuring them.
3. Decreased Risk of Diseases
Regular moderate exercise is known to strengthen your immune system and keep you healthy. Researchers at the University of North Carolina found that people who cycle for 30 minutes, 5 days a week take half as many sick days off work compared to their sedentary counterparts! Another study published in the European Journal of Epidemiology reported that women who exercised regularly, including cycling to work, reduced their incidence of breast cancer.
4. Reduced Stress and Improved Mood
The vigorous demands of mountain biking stimulate your body to release natural endorphins, which are the body’s way of feeling good and getting more energy. Exercise also boosts serotonin, an important neurotransmitter in the brain which helps to prevent depression and anxiety. The focus and attention needed to ride a challenging single-track can become a form of moving meditation; ultimately helping to relax and weather life’s stressors by acting as a distraction from negative thoughts that may contribute to anxiety and depression. Gaining new skills and improving your mountain biking abilities also helps to build confidence and self-esteem.
5. Increased Brain Power
Researchers at Illinois University found that a 5% improvement in cardio fitness from cycling led to an improvement of up to 15% on mental tests. This is in part due to building brain cells in the hippocampus – the region of the brain responsible for memory. “It boosts blood flow and oxygen to the brain, which fires and regenerates receptors, explaining how exercise helps ward off Alzheimer’s,” Professor Arthur Kramer said.
Creative professionals and executives often use their sharpened brain function during exercise time to come up with ideas and solve problems.
6. Improved balance and coordination
Unlike plodding on a treadmill or stair stepper, mountain biking is a dynamic activity that requires the rider to constantly adjust to varying terrain, pitch, and elevation. Staying steady and secure on a mountain bike not only keeps you from crashing but strengthens neural pathways and reinforces muscle memory. Balance and coordination require the combined resources of the brain, senses, muscles and nervous system. Keeping these system’s active as we get older staves off disability from aging and reduces the risk of injury from falls.
7. Whole Body Workout
It’s no doubt you’ll recognize the defined calf muscles of an avid cyclist, but you may not realize that mountain biking uses the muscles of your whole body. Of course, cycling builds strong legs, thighs, and calves and helps you get that nice tight butt. The balance required to stay upright strengthens your abdominal and core muscles. Climbing and maneuvering turn also strengthens your upper body. And as an added bonus, mountain biking doesn’t require an expensive gym membership or a personal trainer to get a good workout.
8. Sleep Better
You may immediately feel tired and worn out after a ride, but it will ultimately lead to improved regenerative sleep when you need it at night. The exercise of riding decreases cortisol, a hormone that keeps us awake. Being an outdoor activity, mountain biking exposes you to daylight which helps to maintain the body’s natural circadian sleep/wake cycle, not to mention raising your body’s production of vitamin D. Make sure you avoid vigorous rides too late in the day, which can have the opposite effect of releasing stimulating endorphins that can keep you awake.
9. Social Benefits
The newer field of happiness psychology has shown that healthy relationships and social interactions are key to being happy and finding meaning in life. Mountain biking is often a social activity shared by clubs and groups who get out to ride together. It provides a perfect opportunity to build personal bonds and make new friends with people who enjoy the same activities that you do.
10. Enjoy Nature
What better way to experience the great outdoors than to eat some dust and get intimate with the bumpy trails? Mountain biking is more than any other activity that allows you to quickly get off the beaten path and enjoy the solitude and majesty of nature. Japanese researchers have shown that being out in nature (what they refer to as “forest bathing”) improves relaxation and reduces stress. A busy urban environment has exactly the opposite effects of stimulating the fear and anxiety centers in the brain. Spend more time on your bike and you may also become more likely to be more green and friendly to the environment.
Top Five Exercises with Mountain Bike
1. Turkish GetUp
This is certainly those types of exercises that you have a look at and thinks “what does this want to do with mountain biking”? Well, when you break down each one of the 7 individual movements that comprise your whole TGU you notice that there’s plenty of core strength, hip mobility, and shoulder stability needed. All of these things are needed to build a strong, injury resistant mountain biker.
There are two more “bonuses” that come with the TGU. First, each in the event that 7 movements can be done as an individual exercise, letting you work around current injuries or even to target weak areas. Second, doing 3 to 5 reps of this TGU equals 42-70 individual movements (7 movements per rep both up and down) and takes a comparatively long time to perform. To obtain truly strong you’ll have to learn to take control of your breathing while staying strong, an art which can help you a lot from the trail.
2. Single Leg Deadlift
The single leg version of the better known two legged exercise, this movement is approximate as “mountain biker specific” as you’re able to get. The capability squats down on a single leg by driving your hips back and down while maintaining your spine straight and chest puffed out is the most important low body movement from the trail. Getting strong with this exercise is likely to make riding switch foot feel more stable and greatly increase your standing pedaling strength.
For most riders getting started with body weight may be enough and you’ll have to work with your hip mobility before you’re in a position to really do this exercise well enough. Just remember that the manner in which you do the exercise is much more important than just how much weight you lift so stick with little to no weight until your mobility and core strength are made up. However, as soon as you’ve first got it down then you definitely wish to add load, starting with holding a dumbbell and working up to pulling a bar from the ground.
3. Chin Up
Mountain bikers are notably weak within their upper backs that will help lead to the forward shoulder posture so common during the trail head. While plenty of riders may do a few chin ups, don’t pat yourself on the back just yet – you need to be able to perform reps with 20-50+ pounds held betwixt your legs. Getting that strong about this exercise will help balance the top of body muscles, build grip strength and then make rough trails feel significantly less taxing.
I would recommend primarily using a chin up grip, which is when you yourself have both hands 8-12 inches apart together with your palms facing you. This grip is stronger and easier to drive the shoulders down away from your ears while pulling up, leading to more strength and better results. Doing this will truly ensure you get your shoulder blades engaged, which is critical for you to get the most out of this valuable exercise.
4. Push Up
The push up is perhaps all at the same time the most typical while the least respected of most upper body exercises. While I use more prevalent pressing exercises like bench press and DB bench press, the fact that you might be lying down makes them less specific for mountain biking. You must use your core to generate the working platform for your upper body on your own bike as well as the push up allows us to work on the core-pressing muscles connection.
While it is the first thing that many people start off with, it is rarely perfected and pushed to extreme levels. A push up only counts in my own facility when your hands are put just away from your shoulders, the body remains perfectly straight as well as your chest touches the bottom. When you can knock out perfect body weight reps without any problems you could begin exploring the other push up variations including placing your feet on a stability ball and using a weight vest.
The deadlift works on the “hip hinge” movement pattern that separates balanced, efficient movement from the bike from unbalanced, injury causing movement. This primal movement pattern is the basis for your position, your pedaling power as well as your capability to corner, manual, bunny hop and jump properly. Without command of this movement pattern and a large amount of strength with it you certainly will struggle to consistently progress as a rider.
Definitely not just being a lowered body exercise, the deadlift works on grip strength, shoulder stability, core strength together with the capacity to drive from the hips and not from the low back. These are all essential qualities of an excellent, injury proof rider and no other workout is as efficient in delivering results since this one. After you have developed your technique in the regular deadlift then adding when you look at the kettle bell swing (basically a dynamic deadlift) may help along with your results on the trail.
Last update on 2017-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API