Weight loss feels like your looking straight up at an insurmountable brick wall , which leaves most people in despair at the thought of what they are facing to begin the journey.  Negative thoughts of deprivation cause most people to resign and give up before they even start.  It is possible to overcome this brick wall with a little help… usually not the way most people think.

Just start doing something.  Take advantage of the phenomenon called the snowball effect.  Watch the momentum a rolling snowball picks up as it travels down the mountain, picking up more and more snow on the way down, crushing anything that gets in it’s way.   We are no different… we just have to get started.  This is the most difficult part.  Our brain perceives pain ahead and it will do anything to avoid it and go for the pleasure. So start with something small like just putting on your walking shoes and set your timer for 5 minutes.  By the time your alarm goes off you maybe half way down the block and want to go a little further.  Then turn around and come back and mark your calendar as workout complete.  This small action trains the brain that there was no pain involved.  The check mark reinforces completing something.

The starting point for nutrition is making one small change per day as you read up on all the latest nutrition.  We all know that veggies are better than fries but do we know how to make both work for us?   Many successful weight loss clients follow the 80/20 rule.  Most of their week, or 80% of the time, they are packing their lunches and cooking at home so that the other 20% of their meals can occur when situations come up.  Maybe you give yourself 3 fun foods a week free of guilt knowing that you’re nourishing your body the other days.

Next comes the stress reduction.  Stress to the body can be toxic if not dealt with over time.  We are going all day long; however, we never give our bodies true down time, and watching TV late at night doesn’t count.  Meditation has been shown to actually change the length of your telemeres giving you a longer life span.  That’s powerful!  The good news is we don’t have to sit for hours in order to change the body.  Easiest way is to take 5 minutes before you fall asleep to listen to a self-guided meditation on YouTube.  Those 5 minutes will shock you… you’ll feel more calm, you’ll sleep better and wake up refreshed.

Most of us already know this stuff, we’ve read it a millions times.  But are we implementing it?  Start by marking your changes each day to reinforce your good habits.  Pretty soon they will become second nature and you’ll be looking or new things to implement taking you to the next level. Before you know, you’ll have made a significant change to your health!

We would love to hear from you!