Fun balance exercises for older adults, using a balance pad, is easy to use, and lightweight piece of equipment to add to your exercise program.
Healthy4Life balance pad exercises for seniors are a great way to keep active, build strength, and increase mobility. Please be sure to have a partner or perform the following exercises next to a stable chair or a wall, to hold if need be while performing the following exercises.
Below are some excellent balance exercises for seniors to do at home, their local gym, or a senior community center.
2 Legged Stand and Balance
Holding the hand of your partner, a stable object or a wall, slowly step onto the balance pad with both feet. When you feel your balance, slowly let go of your partner’s hand, stable object, or wall. Continue to stand maintaining your balance for a short period that is comfortable for you. For example, 30 seconds, then step off. Rest for 30 seconds, then repeat.
To the above exercise, you can add several variations to work your upper body muscle groups. Add in a couple of light dumbbells, just 2 to 3 pounds is fine.
2 Legged Stand With Side Lateral Raise
Standing on the balance pad, holding dumbbells by your side, with palms down raise the dumbbells to shoulder height out to each side of your body and return to start position. Do 12-15 repetitions
2 Legged Stand with Front Raise
Standing on the balance pad, again holding dumbbells by your side, and with palms facing the floor, raise dumbbells straight out in front of you to should height and return to start position. Do 12-15 repetitions
2 Legged Stand Curl To Overhead Press
Standing on the balance pad holding the dumbbells by your side. Curl both dumbbells at once and in one continuous motion press both dumbbells overhead and then return to the start position by reversing the exercise movement. Do 12-15 repetitions
1 Legged Stand and Balance
Holding the hand of your partner, a stable object or a wall, slowly step onto the balance pad with both feet. When you feel your balance, raise one foot slowly off of the pad to balance on one foot. When performing this exercise it is a good idea to continue to hold on to your partner, a stable object or the nearby wall until you feel your balance is good enough to progress to standing on one foot without any assistance.
Front Step Over
Holding the hand of your partner, step with your right foot first, on to the balance pad, then step with your left foot over the pad to the floor in front of you. Finish off the exercise by stepping off with the right foot. You should now be standing on the floor in front of the balance pad. Turn to face the balance pad and now repeat with the left leg first stepping on the balance pad and the right foot stepping over. Repeat 3-5 times or whatever is comfortable for you.
Side Step Over
Holding the hand of your partner, stand with the balance pad on the side of your right foot. Step onto the balance pad with your right foot followed by the left (both feet should be on the balance pad) then step off with the right and then step off with the left. The balance pad is now on the side of the left foot. Now go back the other way leading with the left leg and following with the right leg. Repeat 3-5 times or whatever is comfortable for you.
Balance Pad Squat
Stand on the balance pad with both arms straight out in front of you. Have your partner hold your hands if you have difficulty with your balance. Squat down as low as you can without discomfort, or as low as if you were sitting in a chair, and then stand straight up again. Repeat 3-5 times or whatever is comfortable for you.
These dynamic balance exercises for older adults are an excellent way for them to strengthen their ankles, legs, and upper body, and also increase mobility.
Balance Pads are used every day in physical therapy balance exercises for elderly, making Healthy4Life balance pads the #1 choice for Physical Therapists in the U.S.A.
Ask your Doctor or Physical Therapist for a Balance Exercises for seniors handout, with exercises that are recommended for you at your next visit.
- PERFECT CUSHIONING FOR YOUR COMFORT AND EFFECTIVE WORKOUT: high quality TPE foam material creates outstanding softness for a safe and productive workout. Experience for yourself the comfortableness it brings to your body and mind
- ENHANCE BALANCE AND STRENGTH NOW: The soft foam yoga pad helps you gain more in exercises such as strength training, yoga, pilates, ballet. It is also extremely useful and critical as well for seniors
- PLENTY OF USAGES IN JUST ONE PURCHASE: this soft pad can accompany you in so many ways anytime and anywhere. It can also be used as an anti-fatigue pad for more comfort while standing, sitting, kneeling when working, gardening, house cleansing and more. Perfect for happy fathers day gifts.
- DURABLE WITH MINIMAL MAINTENANCE NEEDED: textured anti-slip pad forms an excellent necessary for utilizing plentiful times. The closed-cell foam technology offers sweat-proof so the pad can be easily cleansed and then nicely kept in storage after use
- SMALL FOR ESSENTIAL, LARGE FOR VERSATILE: balance foam pad for balance exercises currently available in 2 popular sizes for easy use. You can have size Large for handiness and convenience or size Extra Large for practicing freely with the broad surface
- IMPROVE BALANCE and STRENGTH – Foam creates unstable surface for working on balance and core strength, which also strengthens feet/ankles for rehabilitation after injuries
- ALL FITNESS LEVELS – A challenge for athletes who want to improve functionality and power; a great tool for beginners and older adults to increase body awareness and enhance stability
- NON-TOXIC and NON-SLIP – ally conscious TPE material is sweat-proof and slip-resistant, making it perfect for sweaty workouts and yoga, and is easy to clean afterward
- MULTIPLE USES – Versatile pad can be used as a seat cushion, a knee pad for gardening, a foot pad for standing desks, as a meditation pillow, or for making yoga poses more challenging
- 2 SIZES – 15. 5”L x 12. 5”W x 2. 5”H and 15"L x 19"W x 2. 5"H for standing on and performing lunges, squats, planks, crunches, etc. ; lightweight options of 12oz and 16oz is easy to carry
- ➤【Compact Size & Multi-purpose Balance Pad】 Measures about 12” L x 7.1” W x 2.3” H, the medium-sized balance board is suitable for plank support, stretching exercises, yoga, Pilates, dancing, kneeling mats, physical therapy, and other sports, be used as a standing desk or seat pad on the floor mats. Balance cushion for kids, adults, and the elderly, helps cushion the strength of the knees and elbows, improves the condition of the ankles and sit bones, and helps strengthen muscles.
- ➤【Benefits of Milky House’s Balance Pad】 Exercise balance pad is a practical exercise and strengthening tool. 1. Provides a thick cushioning layer, and helps to assist in recovery after injury. 2. Unstable surface helps to improve body balance and ability to maintain an upright posture. 3. Good supplement to strength training, helps to exercise certain muscles in the core, legs, and other body parts. 4. Be used as a foot pad, or chair cushion, providing support for your back, and feet.
- ➤【 Milky House’s Balance Pad is Ideal Choice 】 Thickness of the balance cushion pad is important, tbalance pad has a thickness of 2.36 inches. The instability of the surface is also friendly to beginners, the effect of balance training is better. A soft balance pad is exactly you need. Can cushion your feet, back, and other body parts, force you to maintain balance. Milky House’s balance pad has a protective layer on the surface, will not absorb sweat, just wipe it gently to keep it clean.
- ➤【 Slip-resistant Texture 】 The diamond-shaped texture on the balance pad surface is used to prevent slippage, increase friction with the ground, provide better grip, and prevent slipping or sliding even during sweating exercises. It is also to increase friction with muscles or other body parts and assist in better balance exercises. Very suitable for use in various sports training, and it will not move when used on the seat.
- ➤【 Durable Balance Pad 】 The balance cushion made of high-quality, high-resilient TPE material is soft and tear-resistant, can safely support up to 300 pounds, and is very durable. Lightweight, small size, minimum maintenance, easy to carry, can be used in offices, gyms, and outdoors. It is an excellent fitness equipment for your home and gym. If you are not satisfied with our products, you can return them within 180 days for a full refund!
- Size：15.75”L x 13”W x 2”H,2 inches thick suitable for most sports. Textured Slip-resistance Surface prevents slipping or sliding even.
- Material: The balance pad is made of TPE material, which is sweat-proof and anti-slip, weighs 10.5 ounces, and is easy to carry.
- Benefits: Balance mat can significantly improve balance and flexibility support ankle stability, relief pains for knee, and elbow.
- Cleaning: The balance pad is easy to clean. Rinse and dry with water after use.Foam yoga pad convenient for standing on and strength training, yoga, pilates, ballet , push-ups, squats, sit-ups, etc.
- Multiple uses：Foam balance pad be used as a seat cushion, a knee pad for gardening, a foot pad for standing desks，It can be used anywhere in the office or around the home.
- AIREX BALANCE PAD: Foam pads are lightweight, comfortable, non-slip and ideal for physical therapy, exercise and balancing/stability training. Works as a workout/plank pad, balance mat, yoga foam pad, Pilates cushion, kneeling pad, and therapy foam pad.
- #1 RECOMMENDED: The foam balance pad physical therapy trainers trust the most. Continue your rehab and therapy treatments at home and improve stability and mobility while strengthening joints, ankles and knees, and increasing flexibility and endurance.
- NON SLIP TEXTURED SURFACE: Workout pad has a non-slip waffle texture, durable tear-resistant integrally molded skin surface for extra grip and toughness and is stimulating to feet when used barefoot - instability challenges balance for joint/fascia rehab.
- CLOSED CELL FOAM: Balance pad is soft, lightweight and comfortable with a closed cell foam that works to repel moisture and odors, and makes it easy to clean (best when used barefoot)
- PROFESSIONAL-GRADE: Balance mat is constructed with high-quality materials and will maintain its shape over time, not sag, and the edges will not curl and remain flat, making it ideal for everyday use.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2023-09-25.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.