Fun balance exercises for older adults, using a balance pad, is easy to use, and lightweight piece of equipment to add to your exercise program.
Healthy4Life balance pad exercises for seniors are a great way to keep active, build strength, and increase mobility. Please be sure to have a partner or perform the following exercises next to a stable chair or a wall, to hold if need be while performing the following exercises.
Below are some excellent balance exercises for seniors to do at home, their local gym, or a senior community center.
2 Legged Stand and Balance
Holding the hand of your partner, a stable object or a wall, slowly step onto the balance pad with both feet. When you feel your balance, slowly let go of your partner’s hand, stable object, or wall. Continue to stand maintaining your balance for a short period that is comfortable for you. For example, 30 seconds, then step off. Rest for 30 seconds, then repeat.
To the above exercise, you can add several variations to work your upper body muscle groups. Add in a couple of light dumbbells, just 2 to 3 pounds is fine.
2 Legged Stand With Side Lateral Raise
Standing on the balance pad, holding dumbbells by your side, with palms down raise the dumbbells to shoulder height out to each side of your body and return to start position. Do 12-15 repetitions
2 Legged Stand with Front Raise
Standing on the balance pad, again holding dumbbells by your side, and with palms facing the floor, raise dumbbells straight out in front of you to should height and return to start position. Do 12-15 repetitions
2 Legged Stand Curl To Overhead Press
Standing on the balance pad holding the dumbbells by your side. Curl both dumbbells at once and in one continuous motion press both dumbbells overhead and then return to the start position by reversing the exercise movement. Do 12-15 repetitions
1 Legged Stand and Balance
Holding the hand of your partner, a stable object or a wall, slowly step onto the balance pad with both feet. When you feel your balance, raise one foot slowly off of the pad to balance on one foot. When performing this exercise it is a good idea to continue to hold on to your partner, a stable object or the nearby wall until you feel your balance is good enough to progress to standing on one foot without any assistance.
Front Step Over
Holding the hand of your partner, step with your right foot first, on to the balance pad, then step with your left foot over the pad to the floor in front of you. Finish off the exercise by stepping off with the right foot. You should now be standing on the floor in front of the balance pad. Turn to face the balance pad and now repeat with the left leg first stepping on the balance pad and the right foot stepping over. Repeat 3-5 times or whatever is comfortable for you.
Side Step Over
Holding the hand of your partner, stand with the balance pad on the side of your right foot. Step onto the balance pad with your right foot followed by the left (both feet should be on the balance pad) then step off with the right and then step off with the left. The balance pad is now on the side of the left foot. Now go back the other way leading with the left leg and following with the right leg. Repeat 3-5 times or whatever is comfortable for you.
Balance Pad Squat
Stand on the balance pad with both arms straight out in front of you. Have your partner hold your hands if you have difficulty with your balance. Squat down as low as you can without discomfort, or as low as if you were sitting in a chair, and then stand straight up again. Repeat 3-5 times or whatever is comfortable for you.
These dynamic balance exercises for older adults are an excellent way for them to strengthen their ankles, legs, and upper body, and also increase mobility.
Balance Pads are used every day in physical therapy balance exercises for elderly, making Healthy4Life balance pads the #1 choice for Physical Therapists in the U.S.A.
Ask your Doctor or Physical Therapist for a Balance Exercises for seniors handout, with exercises that are recommended for you at your next visit.
- IMPROVE BALANCE & STRENGTH – Foam creates unstable surface for working on balance & core strength, which also strengthens feet/ankles for rehabilitation after injuries
- ALL FITNESS LEVELS – A challenge for athletes who want to improve functionality & power; a great tool for beginners & older adults to increase body awareness and enhance stability
- NON-TOXIC & NON-SLIP – Environmentally conscious TPE material is sweat-proof and slip-resistant, making it perfect for sweaty workouts and yoga, and is easy to clean afterward
- MULTIPLE USES – Versatile pad can be used as a seat cushion, a knee pad for gardening, a foot pad for standing desks, as a meditation pillow, or for making yoga poses more challenging
- LARGE SIZE – 15. 5”L x 13”W x 2. 5”H size is convenient for standing on and performing lunges, squats, planks, crunches, etc. ; lightweight 12 oz. is easy to carry
- AIREX BALANCE PAD: Foam pads are lightweight, comfortable, non-slip and ideal for physical therapy, exercise and balancing/stability training. Works as a workout/plank pad, balance mat, yoga foam pad, Pilates cushion, kneeling pad, and therapy foam pad.
- #1 RECOMMENDED: The foam balance pad physical therapy trainers trust the most. Continue your rehab and therapy treatments at home and improve stability and mobility while strengthening joints, ankles and knees, and increasing flexibility and endurance.
- NON SLIP SURFACE: Workout pad has a non-slip, durable tear-resistant integrally molded skin surface for extra grip and toughness and is stimulating to feet when used barefoot - instability challenges balance, making it great for joint and fascia rehab.
- CLOSED CELL FOAM: Balance pad is soft, lightweight and comfortable with a closed cell foam that works to repel moisture and odors, and makes it easy to clean (best when used barefoot)
- PROFESSIONAL-GRADE: Balance mat is constructed with high-quality materials and will maintain its shape over time, not sag, and the edges will not curl and remain flat, making it ideal for everyday use.
- IMPROVE STRENGTH, BALANCE AND MOBILITY: Easily integrating into any workout routine, physical therapy or rehabilitation program, the Vive balance pad provides a safe, destabilized surface to improve overall balance and increase core strength. Perfect for seniors and those recovering from injury or surgery, the durable foam balance pad increases joint stability and motor skills, safely strengthening weak ankles, knees and hips.
- EXTRA LARGE TEXTURED PLATFORM: Lightly textured to provide a nonslip surface that is safe for use barefoot or with shoes, the balance pad also has a textured nonslip base to prevent slipping and sliding while in use. The extra large cushioned platform measures 15.8” by 13.4”, easily accommodating wider stances and all shoe sizes.
- VERSATILE USE: Great for rehabilitation following an injury or surgery, the balance pad is also a useful addition to yoga, pilates and general exercise. Lightweight and portable, the foam balance pad can also be used as a comfortable seat cushion or foot elevator at home or on the go.
- DURABLE FOAM MATERIAL: Resilient, closed-cell foam is tear-resistant, safely supporting up to 300 pounds. The thick, latex-free 2.4” foam balance pad is also water-resistant, repelling sweat. Easily clean the balance pad with a damp cloth and mild detergent before drying with a lint-free cloth.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day unconditional guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
- PERFECT CUSHIONING FOR YOUR COMFORT AND EFFECTIVE WORKOUT: high quality TPE foam material creates outstanding softness for a safe and productive workout. Experience for yourself the comfortableness it brings to your body and mind
- ENHANCE BALANCE AND STRENGTH NOW:. The soft foam yoga pad helps you gain more in exercises such as strength training, yoga, pilates, ballet while reducing pain. It is also extremely useful and critical as well for seniors doing physical therapy and rehab
- PLENTY OF USAGES IN JUST ONE PURCHASE: this soft pad can accompany you in so many ways anytime and anywhere. It can also be used as an anti-fatigue pad for more comfort while standing, sitting, kneeling when working, gardening, house cleansing and more
- DURABLE WITH MINIMAL MAINTENANCE NEEDED: textured anti-slip pad forms an excellent necessary for utilizing plentiful times. The closed-cell foam technology offers sweat-proof so the pad can be easily cleansed and then nicely kept in storage after use
- SMALL FOR ESSENTIAL, LARGE FOR VERSATILE: balance foam pad for balance exercises currently available in 2 popular sizes for easy use. You can have size Large for handiness and convenience or size Extra Large for practicing freely with the broad surface
- XL Size: 19"x15"x2.3", Great for balance, mobility, standing stability and motor-skill training
- IMPROVE YOUR BALANCE AND COORDINATION. Standing on the pad will challenge all of your tiny stabilizing muscles in your ankles, knees and hips. You will also improve your motor skills spending just 10 minutes per day standing on one leg.
- REHAB AND REPAIR SAFELY AND QUICKLY. Recover from fractures, sprains, injuries safely. Used widely in physical therapy settings. The soft pad supports knees and elbows, allowing muscles and bones to repair and strengthen safely.
- STRENGTHEN YOUR CORE AND PROTECT YOUR BACK. Challenge your yoga balance poses and arm balances. The pad’s destabilizing feature automatically activates your back and abdominal muscles.
- USE AT YOUR STAND UP DESK OR AS A SITTING SUPPORT. Stand on your pad while working to keep your core engaged and joints supported. Also a great sitting “cushion” low back and pelvis injuries as well as providing extra height in your chair.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2022-01-23.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.